BP vs ANC
At Move Up, we understand the importance of understanding the differences between a British passport and a UK Ancestry Work Permit for South African nationals looking to relocate to the UK. Both options have their own set of pros and cons and it’s important to understand which one is best for your individual needs and circumstances.
- Holders of a British passport have full citizenship rights and can live and work in the UK without restriction.
- They are also able to vote and hold public office.
- They have the right to live and work in other countries in the European Union.
- They can also apply for a UK passport for children born outside the UK.
- The cost is substantially lower.
- The process of obtaining a British passport can be lengthy and complicated.
- You need to meet the eligibility criteria for British nationality, which can be difficult for some South African applicants.
- It is more difficult to bring over family dependents (partner and minors) when a British passport is involved.
UK ANCestry work permit
- Holders of a UK Ancestry Work Permit can live and work in the UK for up to 5 years.
- Unlimited visa extensions are permitted whilst in the UK.
- This path does offer both the main applicant and their family dependents to earn British nationality through continued UK residence.
- The process of obtaining a UK Ancestry Work Permit is quicker when compared to registering for a British passport.
- Holders of a UK Ancestry Work Permit do not have full citizenship rights and cannot vote or hold public office in the UK (initially).
- They also do not have the right to live and work in other countries in the European Union.
- The permit is only valid for 5 years and needs to be renewed to continue living and working in the UK.
- The cost of obtaining a UK Ancestry Work Permit is a frequent deterrent. Approximately R78,000 per visa applicant in government fees alone.
Don’t know which option is the best for you? At Move Up, we understand that the process of relocating to the UK can be complex and confusing. That’s why we are committed to helping you understand your options and make the best decision for your individual needs and circumstances. Contact us today to find out more about our services and schedule a free assessment with one of our experts.