Do I Need A Visa?

  1. Are you a South African?
  2. You have not held a passport from any other country?
  3. You were born in South Africa?
  4. Are you looking to fly to the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales)?

If you answered “yes” to the above 4 questions, as a South African national, you require prior permission to pass through the UK border. This permission is granted in the form of a UK visa.

To find out which UK visa best suits you or if you eligible for a British passport, we recommend that you complete our free online visa assessment.

Applicants from the following (or applicants that have held or currently do hold valid passports from) the countries listed below require UK visas:

Afghanistan Laos
Albania Lebanon
Algeria Lesotho
Angola Liberia
Armenia Libya
Azerbaijan Macedonia
Bahrain* Madagascar
Bangladesh Malawi
Belarus Mali
Benin Mauritania
Bhutan Moldova
Bolivia Mongolia
Bosnia Herzegovina Montenegro
Burkina Faso Morocco
Burma Mozambique
Burundi Nepal
Cambodia Niger
Cameroon Nigeria
Cape Verde Oman*
Central African Republic Pakistan
Chad Peru
People’s Republic of China* Philippines
Colombia Qatar*
Comoros Russia
Congo Rwanda
Cuba Sao Tome e Principe
Democratic Republic of the Congo Saudi Arabia
Djibouti Senegal
Dominican Republic Serbia
Ecuador Sierra Leone
Egypt Somalia
Equatorial Guinea South Africa*
Eritrea South Sudan
Ethiopia Sri Lanka
Fiji Sudan
Gabon Suriname
Gambia Swaziland
Georgia Syria
Ghana Taiwan*
Guinea Tajikistan
Guinea Bissau Tanzania
Guyana Thailand
Haiti Togo
India Tunisia
Indonesia* Turkey *
Iran Turkmenistan
Iraq Uganda
Ivory Coast Ukraine
Jamaica United Arab Emirates*
Jordan Uzbekistan
Kazakhstan Venezuela
Kenya Vietnam*
Korea (North) Yemen
Kosovo Zambia
Kuwait * Zimbabwe

To find out more about dual nationality, click here.

To find out about what UK visa options are available, try our free online assessment.

For further information relating to UK visas, take a look at our UK visas page.

Alternatively, we encourage interested applicants to contact us.